Saturday, December 6, 2008

wrt150n + dd-wrt + sd card mod + freeradius = Secure Wireless

Decided to pick up one of these wrt150n for cheap because they can run dd-wrt. Advantages of this I guess are alot more options that linksys firmware, radius server, pptp/openvpn server and torrent client.

Added the sdcard slot and stuck a 1gb sd card in there to run some extra packages..

First thing I wanted to do was setup freeradius so I can setup wpa2 enterprise/aes PEAP mschapv2 authentication for my wireless network. Youve all seen how easy it is to even break wpa2 with hash tables of course..

Well it took a few hours to do the mod and get the certificate generation with freeradius right.. but its all working and its sweet now, I can sleep at night with my girlfriend using secure wireless =)

If you do this SDCARD mod, beware all the guides on the internet are wrong, they say the CLK gpio pin can be ground. This isnt right it needs an active gpio pin, so connect it to the front of the power LED and set it to 1.

Also little torrent client working on there saving to my SAN via CIFS.

So this is a cheap alternative for radius authentication for the security conscious, plus it doesnt use hardly any power to run.

No comments: