Saturday, December 6, 2008

My thoughts on Intel Atom performance

There has been alot of talk how powerless the intel atom cpu is..ESPECIALLY for multithreading, while I agree with this in some aspects I have also found it can be quite responsive.

I have been sent a MSI Wind U100 for review and am running a fairly streamlined XP SP3 installation on it. When I install my normal AV, symantec endpoint protection 11 it is almost unusable.. As soon as I remove it, the platform is very responsive.. with sessions of MSN, Word 2007, Photoshop elements and Opera all running simultaniously with good speed.

This cpu might be more suited to a desktop linux variant such as ubuntu, gentoo or fedora. I have been running fedora core 10 on the notebook for a few weeks and it really does work great. Obviously you need to remove functions and services you dont need.. but you do that on every machine you build right? optimization is life

No comments: